Saturday, February 8, 2014

Where do I go? What do I do? I need guidance!!!



I know I'm not the only one who has questioned their "purpose" in life. In fact, a lot of people in their twenties seem to be struggling with what to do next in their life. We often questions our jobs, our place in our family, our financial stability, our residence, our successes. I'm almost sure that many of us have probably have stated this to ourselves, "I should be  doing something more, I feel the need to change what I'm doing". Come on, I know your probably shaking your head. Well, you are not alone, in fact there are many of us struggling to figure out what to do next. Check out this paragraph found in an article in the NY times:


            The 20s are a black box, and there is a lot of churning in there. One-third of people in their 20s move to a new residence every year. Forty percent move back home with their parents at least once. They go through an average of seven jobs in their 20s, more job changes than in any other stretch. Two-thirds spend at least some time living with a romantic partner without being married. And marriage occurs later than ever.The median age at first marriage in the early 1970s, when the baby boomers were young, was 21 for women and 23 for men; by 2009 it had climbed to 26 for women and 28 for men, five years in a little more than a generation.



Interesting huh? While reflecting on my own life, and those of my close friends, I've noticed that all of us are seeking direction in EVERY aspect of our lives. We question  where God is leading us. We wonder what God's will for our lives is. We wonder how we can separate ourselves from the world and yet still accomplish His plans. 
This got me thinking about what God's word has to say on this topic. Here is the answer (drum roll please) 
How about this: 



PRAY. 


Bet you weren't expecting that answer huh? The bible teaches us that if we lack wisdom we should as our Father God for it. 


If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. James 1:5 (NLT)



How about this:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 ESV









So, if God knows the plans for us, and he knows our future, then shouldn't we be asking him for direction?






Sounds too easy huh? 









I think I might know the problem (or at least my problem). The issue is not that we can't pray. It might be the way we pray. We pray with doubt (I know I do), we forget how big God really is. We pray for his guidance but there is that small voice that says, "What if God, doesn't answer me or what if God leads me somewhere I don't want to go, what if He makes a mistake?
We suddenly fear the what ifs.......

I also think that one of our problems is trust. We struggle with giving him full control because honestly we want it! We want to plan the order of our lives, we want to shove our plans in God's face and ask him to help us accomplish it. 


I think about it and wonder how God must feel. How our lack of faith and doubt make him feel. I am reminded of what the Bible tells us about Peter. Remember when Peter was walking on water and he took his eyes off Jesus and started looking at his surroundings. The bible tell us that he began to sink, after rescuing him Jesus asked him, “Your faith is small. Why did you doubt?" Matthew 14:31 NCV


I sometimes wonder how may times Jesus has asked me the same thing! 


My friends, I  pray that we may not worry about whats going to happen in the future. I pray that our doubt can be put down and that our faith can grow. So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17 ESV 

Let's ask God for guidance, and remember what Christ has said about each and one of us! 

He alone is the source of our future!

Love you, 

Thesweetsan 



2 comments:

  1. It was refreshing to read this! A reminder that as children of God we must always have faith in Him and trust Him. I am optimistic about our futures and where God is leading us to next. Love u guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for reading this, I'm so glad that God is speaking to all of us. :)

      Delete